Macc Care is in collaboration with the social mobility frame work, a charity supporting high flyers with restricted economic and social backgrounds into higher education.
“ The staff were friendly and very welcoming and gave me a good insight into some of the challenges faced everyday not just by doctors but generally by all professionals working in the healthcare sector ”
This year, 5 Year 12 students undertook a one-week placement with Macc Care over the summer. All 5 students completed the placement evaluation, and a summary of their responses is below.
- All students said that the placement either met or exceeded their expectations
- 3 of the 5 students felt that they would not have been able to secure the placement at Macc Care without the help of the SMF
- 3 out of 5 of the students said that they are likely to apply to opportunities at Macc Care in the future
“ I had a great time, the internship helped me gain a professional insight into a variety of different roles in a healthcare environment. ” – Harris
About the students’ learning
During their time on the SMF programme students have the opportunity to develop key skills and areas of knowledge in line with our Managing My Future Framework. A work placement offers students the chance to focus on and develop certain competencies. The students said the following about the skills and knowledge they developed during their time at Macc Care:
- We hope placements help students to gain an insight into their chosen career from individuals currently working in the profession. All students said after the placement that this had been the case.
- All students agreed that the experience helped them to demonstrate professional behaviour and develop their communication skills.
- All students agreed that the placement increased their confidence.
“ The team at Macc Care were very well equipped with knowledge especially with infection control in an important environment. The level of teamwork displayed was immense with small tasks such as the moving and handling of residents with ease and comfort.” – Maryam
Year ahead for SMF
There are 178 students in Birmingham this year, we anticipate these numbers will increase in 2019.
With the opening of the 6th SMF office in Liverpool in January this year, we are continuing to establish local support for students wherever they live in the UK. We will be opening an office in Cardiff before the end of the year, adding to our existing offices in Birmingham, Glasgow, London, Manchester, and Newcastle.
We look forward to working with you in the coming year to support more young people in realising their ambitions.
“Everyone was so friendly! I had a great time. ” – Basit